- Measuring the gain from labor specialization
with Decio Coviello and Nicola Persico. The Journal of Law and Economics, forthcoming, 2019
- The cognitive cost of daycare 0–2 for children in advantaged families
with Margherita Fort and Giulio Zanella. The Journal of Political Economy, forthcoming, 2019
(See the Online Appendix, the link to the JPE page and the related Press Coverage; and here is published version if you have the right to access it)
- The Tower of Babel in the classroom: immigrants and natives in Italian schools
with Rosario Ballatore and Margherita Fort. The Journal of Labor Economics, 2018
(see the Online Appendix).
- Inelastic buyers in non-competitive markets
with Giacomo Calzolari, Francesco Manaresi and Viki Nellas. The Economic Journal, 2018
(see the Online Appendix, an article of the Economist on this paper and a post on the blog Linkiesta)
- Too Old to Work, too Young to Retire?
with Guido Schwerdt, Rudolf Winter-Ebmer and Josef Zweimuller. The Journal of the Economics of Aging, 2016
- Multi-tasking, multiarmed bandits, and the Italian Judiciary
with Robert L. Bray, Decio Coviello and Nicola Persico. Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, 2016
- The inefficiency of worker time use
with Decio Coviello and Nicola Persico. Journal of the European Economic Association, 2015
(see the Online Appendix and a previous version of the paper in which the econometric analysis was based on the estimation of the conditional expectation function of the duration of cases instead of on the estimation of a Cox Proportional hazard model, as in the most recent version)
- Time allocation and task juggling
with Decio Coviello and Nicola Persico. American Economic Review, 2015
(see the Online Appendix)
- Hidden consequences of a first-born boy for mothers
with Eliana Viviano and Ellly-Ann Lindstrom. Economic Letters, 2015
(see an article about this paper on the Wall Street Journal)
- Comments on “Gender and experiments: what have we learned from the field and the lab”
Labor Economics, 2015
- Freeing the Italian school system
with Guido Tabellini. Labor Economics, 2015
- College cost and time to complete a degree: Evidence from tuition discontinuities
with Pietro Garibaldi, Francesco Giavazzi and Enrico Rettore. Review of Economics and statistics, 2012
- Giudici in Affanno
with Decio Coviello and Nicola Persico. Annuario di diritto comparato e studi legislativi, 2012.
- Gender based taxation and the division of family chores
with Alberto Alesina and Loukas Karabarbounis. American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 2012, vol. 3, pp. 1 – 40, 2011
- The political economy of intergenerational income mobility
with Loukas Karabarbounis and Enrico Moretti. Economic Inquiry, vol. 49, pp. 47 – 69, 2011.
- Similarities and differences when building trust: the role of cultures
with Fabian Bornhorst, Oliver Kirchkamp, Karl Schlag, and Eyal Winter. Experimental Economics, 2010 (see the online Appendix).
- Does the color of the collar matter? Employment and earnings after a plant closure
with Oliver Ruf, Guido Schwerdt, Rudolf Winter-Ebmer and Josef Zweimuller. Economic Letters, vol. 108, pp. 137 – 140, 2010
- Youth Emancipation and Perceived Job Insecurity of Parents and Children
with Sascha Becker, Samuel Bentolila and Ana Fernandes. Journal of Population Economics Volume 23, Issue 3 (2010), Page 1047-1071, 2010
- Biological Gender Differences, Absenteeism and the Earning Gap
with Enrico Moretti, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 1(1) 183-218, 2009 (see the press coverage)
- Income Insecurity and Youth Emancipation: A Theoretical Approach
with Sascha Becker, Samuel Bentolila and Ana Fernandes. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, vol. 8, pp. 1 – 41, 2008.
- How often should you open the door? Optimal monitoring to screen heterogeneous agents
with Gerd Muehlheuser. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, (67) 820-831, 2008
- Unemployment and Consumption Near and Far Away From the Mediterranean?
with Samuel Bentolila. Journal of Population Economics , vol. 21, pp. 255 – 280, 2008 (see the press coverage).
- From temporary help jobs to permanent employment: What can we learn from matching estimators and their sensitivity?
with Fabrizia Mealli and Tommaso Nannicini. Journal of Applied Econometrics, vol. 23, pp. 305 – 327, 2008.
- Clean Evidence on Peer Pressure
with Armin Falk. Journal of Labor Economics, January, 24 (1), 39-57, 2006
- Temporary Work Agencies in Italy: A Springboard to Permanent Employment?
with Fabrizia Mealli and Tommaso Nannicini. Giornale degli Economisti, September, 64 (1), 1-27, 2005
- Lo splendido isolamento dell’università italiana
with Stefano Gagliarducci, Giovanni Peri e Roberto Perotti, in Tito Boeri, Riccardo Faini, Andrea Ichino, Giuseppe Pisauro, Carlo Scarpa (eds.) Oltre il Declino, Bologna, Il Mulino, 2005
- The Effect of Employment Protection on Worker Effort – A Comparison of Absenteeism During and After Probation
with Regina T. Riphahn. Journal of the European Economic Association, March, 3 (1), 120-143, 2005.
- Gender Wage Gap in Expectations and Realizations
with Antonio Filippin. Labour Economics, February, 12 (1), 125-145, 2005.
- Reconciling Motherhood and Work. Evidence from Time Use Data In Three Countries
with Anna Sanz de Galdeano, in Hamermesh, Dan, and Gerard Pfann, (eds.), The Economics of Time Use, Amsterdam, Elsevier, 2005.
- Absenteeism and Employment Protection: Three Case Studies
with Regina Riphahn. Swedish Economic Policy Review, 11 (1), 95-114, 2004.
- The Long-Run Educational Cost of World War Two
with Rudolf Winter-Ebmer. Journal of Labor Economics, January, 22 (1), 57-86, 2004.
- How Large is the “Brain Drain” from Italy
with Giovanni Peri and Sascha Becker. Giornale degli Economisti, April, 73 (1), 1-32, 2004.
- Are Judges Biased by Labor Market Conditions?
with Michele Polo and Enrico Rettore. European Economic Review, October, 47 (5), 913-944, 2003. See the press coverage.
- Le perplessità di un utilizzatore di dati di fronte al “Codice di deontologia e buona condotta per il trattamento di dati personali per scopi statistici e scientifici.
Rivista Statistica, Ottobre-Dicembre, 4, 673-683, 2003
- Estimation of Average Treatment Effects Based on Propensity Scores
with Sascha Becker. The Stata Journal , 2 (4), 358-377, 2002.
This paper documents the “Stata programs for ATT estimation based on propensity score matching” written by Sascha O. Becker and myself. These programs may be used and distributed free of charge by anyone if credit is given. They have been tested fairly well but they come with no guarantee and the authors assume no liability for their use or misuse. To download the programs, within Stata, you can type -net search propensity score- and follow the link. A second option is to download the *.ado, the *.hlp files and the working paper version of the SJ paper in a single .zip file here.
- Manuale di Economia del Lavoro
Luchino Brucchi (ed.), Bologna, Il Mulino, Settembre, 2001.
- Il Problema della Causalità . Una Introduzione Generale ed un Esempio
Capitolo 20 in: Luchino Brucchi (ed.), Manuale di Economia del Lavoro, Bologna, Il Mulino, Settembre, 2001.
- Productivity, Seniority and Wages
with Luca Flabbi. Labour Economics, June, 8 (3), June, 2001.
- Work Environment and Individual Background: Explaining Regional Shirking Differentials in a Large Italian Firm
with Giovanni Maggi. Quarterly Journal of Economics, August, 115 (3), 1057-1090, 2000.
- More Equal but Less Mobile? Education Financing and Intergenerational Mobility in Italy and in the US
with Daniele Checchi and Aldo Rustichini. Journal of Public Economics, December 74 (3), 351-393, 1999
- Lower and Upper Bounds of Returns to Schooling: An Exercise in IV Estimation with Different Instruments
with Rudolf Winter-Ebmer. European Economic Review, April 43(4-6), 889-901, 1999
- Discrimination or Individual Effort? Regional Productivity Differentials in a Large Italian Firm,
with Pietro Ichino Ch. 3 in: John C. Haltiwanger et al. (eds.). The Creation and Analysis of Employer-Employee Matched Data, North-Holland, Elsevier Science B.V., 59-77, 1999.